At this same time, I was reading a few books on writing such as Bird by Bird – by Anne Lamott and Writing Down to the Bones – by Natalie Goldberg. From these authors suggestions, I was learning to release judgement about myself and my artistic abilities and to simply enjoy the processes of writing.
It struck me that I was very fulfilled in these moments. Fully engaged in my writing.
When I was writing in a relaxed, non-judgmental state, I was completely focused and in the moment. Not letting my inner critic or judgement cloud my brain. Worries and distractions fell away.
This is when I connected mindfulness with creativity. Present moment living, being completely focused and aware in a non-judgmental state, is the essence of mindfulness.
Fully present in the now, you are engaged in whatever you are doing. You are no longer dwelling in the past or fretting about the future. You are doing the work you enjoy and getting out of your own way.
The practice of mindfulness, through meditation, breathing, or any of the various ways you can practice present moment awareness, can make us more centered, creative and fulfilled.
Sometimes the inspiration we need to start on a new path can be found in a few simple, inspirational words.
Here are 10 mindfulness quotes to inspire you to live in the present moment and find your creative flow:
1. “The best way to capture moments is to pay attention. This is how we cultivate mindfulness. Mindfulness means being awake. It means knowing what you are doing.” ~Jon Kabat-Zinn
2. “Do every act of your life as though it were the last act of your life.” ~Marcus Aurelius
3. “Each morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.” ~Buddha
4. “Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That’s how the light gets in.”
~ Leonard Cohen
5. “The most precious gift we can offer others is our presence. When mindfulness embraces those we love, they will bloom like flowers.” ~Thich Nhat Hanh
6. “Life is not lost by dying; life is lost minute by minute, day by dragging day, in all the small uncaring ways.” ~Stephen Vincent Benet
7. “Things falling apart is a kind of testing and also a kind of healing.” ~Pema Chodron
8. “Mindful and creative, a child who has neither a past, nor examples to follow, nor value judgments, simply lives, speaks and plays in freedom.” ~Arnaud Desjardins
9. “Wherever you are, be all there.” ~ Jim Elliot
10. “Forever, is composed of Nows.” ~ Emily Dickinson
May these quotes inspire you to live in the present moment and find your creative flow – like they have for me.